While we were still in China, it was obvious that Shaun had played lots of little boy games with pretend guns and knives. Now, that wasn't my favorite way for him to play, but after trying to redirect the behavior, I decided that it really wasn't so bad and that maybe I was overreacting to the political correctness of the United States.
So, I've eased up and the kids now fold up papers and act like they are guns. Mommy's only rule is that we can't shoot each other with the folded up papers. We can only shoot at other things:-)
So today on AOL I read that a 2nd grader was suspended from school for a day because he drew a picture of a gun. While Sydney and Shaun and I ate lunch at McDonald's, Shaun said something about a gun. I responded that we needed to be careful about conversations about guns because it worries people. Then I told the story about the 2nd greader in NJ.
Sydney looked at me and smiled and said, "Well Mom when Shaun and I made guns at school and tried to shoot each other, the teacher just took them away from us and we didn't get kicked out of school."
And on that note, this old mother of pre-schoolers breathed a sigh of relief.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment