Sydney really got into the presidential election in the last few days. See, Sydney lives in a split household and so it's not easy as a 4 1/2 year old to sort out who is right...your mom or your dad. For about a month, Sydney has been able to find Barack Obama in the paper or on TV and turn to me and say, "Mom, that's your guy."
But in the past few days she has wanted to know how we elect the President. I've really only explained the popular vote...we'll leave the electoral college for later...but even that is difficult. "Mom, I don't understand what you are saying. What is the most votes?"
We've worked through that but on Monday night when she was getting ready for bed she said, "Mom, I just don't know who to pick. McCain or Obama." I smiled at her and explained that she didn't need to worry about it. And either way, on Tuesday, something historic would happen in this country. Either a black man would be president or a woman would be vice president. "What is a vice president?" So the education started again.
Yesterday, she told her dad on the way to school that she just couldn't decide who to pick. "Dad, I don't know who to pick for president. This is difficult." Shaun piped up..."And I don't know what Grandma picked for my birthday present either." So picking presidents or picking presents...both are difficult.
What am I grateful for this morning? I'm grateful for the right to vote. Really, really grateful. I'm grateful that I love someone who usually holds different political opinions. It allows me to understand that good people hold different political views. (And believe me, we both REALLY have STRONG views.) I'm grateful for my children who keep my life interesting and full of fun with their questions and comments.
And, I'm really grateful for the changes in this country that elected an African American as president yesterday. There are plenty of changes in this country that haven't been positive in my lifetime. But this change in attitude sure is!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment