Monday, November 03, 2008


Today is the second day of the thirty day gratitude challenge I'm doing. Yesterday was Saturday and somehow it seems that it is easier to be grateful on Saturday. Sydney, Shaun, Papa and I started the day at Sarah's first basketball game of the season. The game didn't go well but it was fun.
Then Brian and the kids and I went to Indianola to vote. We had about a ten or fifteen minute wait to vote. The atmosphere seemed so serious. I don't know if that was caused by the fact that people who vote early are more serious about it or if people feel the enormity of this particular election.
In the evening, Sydney and Papa and I went back to watch basketball. The last game of the day was played at Dowling. We've spent so many hours at Dowling watching games. It caused many of those memories to come rushing back...some good, some bad.
So what was the one thing that I wanted to capture from yesterday that filled me with gratitude?
I got to watch another ballgame with my dad. There have been hundreds. After all, we've been doing this for 45 or 46 years. I grew up across from the football field and the baseball diamonds. Dad spent lots of time there and so did I. Whether it was watching Dad play softball or following behind him when he ran chains down the sideline of football games or going to Drake football and basketball games or helping him with Randy’s Little League teams or going with him to Tennessee to watch Hannah play AAU ball or watching Zeb play football, basketball and baseball or watching Sarah this weekend… Yes, I’m grateful that I got to watch another ballgame with my dad!





No comments: